Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Chico, Anxiety and Grandma Pretzel! Part 2

Anxiety to Peace!

Thursday 10-13-16

I woke up at 2 am with a racing heart. Was it my vivid dream that caused it?  I have to believe it has something to do with my life doing a 360` with no longer owning our home to leaving two of our three adult children behind....temporarily.  It is a big life changing event!  I fell back asleep and several hours later was awakened by Daisy who desperately needed to "go out".

Walking yesterday at upper Bidwell Park made me feel it was straight out of a movie or perhaps on a different planet.  Bidwell Park is made up of hundreds of acres of tall, dried grass with sparse trees on what is known as upper Bidwell and mid and lower Bidwell parks are full of green shrubs and plants, tall trees changing to a bright orange, amd a river.  Dogs are allowed off their leashes and free to roam the tall grass at upper Bidwell, whereas at lower Bidwell, the dogs have to be on leashes.  The beauty her is undeniable and the four of us are getting our exercise.

Today I decided to check out the oven for the first time, promising Brandon and his roommates homemade lasagna but before doing so Perry and I had to check out a nearby winery.  I'm thinking it's like other wineries (which I enjoy) but not in this case as it is owned by an order of Trappist monks.  It is called the Abbey of our Lady of New Clairvaux but the winery is simply, New Clairvaux. The monks' purchased the vineyards and surrounding walnut groves back in 1955 and over the years produced some amazing red wines. We decided to do a self-guided tour around the grounds designated for tourists.  We walked down to the church currently being built and went inside the "old" church.  I figured after a terrible nights sleep a little prayer couldn't hurt! The church had a few visitors inside listening to the  Cistercian   monks chanting their prayers.  There were about seven monks from young to old and of many different nationalities who speak very little as they have the vow of silence and prayer.  What a beautiful and serene place! Good wines too!

Saturday 10-15-16

It was raining today and the rain forced us to stay indoors and do house chores.  Yes, I know, a 500 square foot fifth wheel isn't a lot to keep up, however, the floors still have to be vacuumed and mopped and laundry has to be done (okay save that for tomorrow)!  My only saving grace was having a nice dinner out with our very busy son. Most of the outdoor Greek activities (including the parade and Brandon's frats' prize winning float) were postponed to the following week.  A little rain didn't stop us from visiting downtown Chico  We saw a lot of interesting types some of which made me feel very uncomfortable. I wasn't uncomfortable just curious as we saw several young guys with carved pumpkins on their heads.  "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"!  Knowing our son was in the middle of Greek week surely this was part of a fraternity but come to find out it was a contest from a local radio station.  The contestants had to see how long they could stand on a box with pumpkins on their heads without going to the bathroom or without food or water. The grand prize was $1,000. Definitely something for the young.

Sunday 10-16-16

Fast forward to Sunday, Perry said from the beginning of our journey "when I go to church with you, it's a fishing credit for me".  I didn't realize he really meant it so.....score church-2 fishing-0. Tomorrow is the day for me to get my own fishing pole ...yay. Should I be excited? Well, let's say I've been fishing a couple times growing up and would much rather see a musical but marriage is a compromise!

This morning we went to the same church as last week and I have to say it's really growing on me.  It's a very sweet church and I admit being in the  "bubble" made we well somewhat "spoiled".  Part of my husband's quest has been to expose us to all walks of life.  I think he's onto something.
Back home I pile my large bag of dirty clothes and throw rugs into the truck to drive the short distance to the laundromat. As I head towards the door that says "laundry" a red car pulls aside and the woman driver (she appears to be in her seventies) rolls down her window "Are you doing laundry"?  Smiling, I politely said "yes, but there's enough room for both of us".  There are two washing machines and dryers.  She looked at me, scowled, made a comment and drove off. I noticed her license plate frame that read "Grandma Pretzel"  What did that mean.......I could tell you where my thoughts went as she wasn't the pleasant type.  The wash cycle is about 30 minutes and I wanted to be sure to transfer them to the dryer right away so someone else could use them.  After the dry cycle was complete, who shows up but "grandma pretzel".  She apologized for being so rude and went on to explain her husband had unexpectedly ended up in the hospital but now released and was having well.....bowel issues and needed to wash bedding.  I felt sorry for her!  I was glad I held back my sarcastic thoughts because this poor woman was going through a lot!

You NEVER know when you meet a stranger what they might be going through.  I think this trip WILL be good for me! Maybe a few kind words and a nice smile will bring peace to us both!

Upper Bidwell Park                                               Winery owned by Trappist Monks

Pumpkin Heads
Dinner with our son, Brandon




                                                                     







Yay! Look of excitement holding my first fishing pole!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment