Monday, June 12, 2017

NEUSE FOREST, KILL DEVILS HILL, THE OUTER BANKS, MORE FISHING AND LOST KEYS!





Cherry Point, N.C. 4/6/17-4/15/17
(Havelock, Hiking in the Neuse Forest, the town of Oriental , Outer banks and Kill Devil Hills!

Cherry Point, N.C.  was one of our longer stays at a Marine Corps Air Station. For this length of time I somehow thought we might run out of things to do.  I was wrong!  This base had all the conveniences of home, gas stations, commissary, restaurants and no loud early morning wake up calls!  The next day took us to the Neuse forest (not far from the base) along the Neuse river where we could let the dogs run freely and Perry and I could get in a good hike. 
The next day we explored the nearby town of Havelock and Morehead City.  Morehead city is a fishing community and it was here, Perry decided to later go on a full day fishing trip later during our stay.  We took a short ferry ride to the cute town of Oriental with homes along the water,  where the pace of life is slow and the residents like it that way. Perfectly spaced pine trees surrounded typical southern homes (some run down, some charming and beautiful). The azaleas were just beginning to bloom making the contrast of bright pink against the green trees and blue skies. The small struggling community grows during the summer months but has many abandoned buildings and homes.  
The main destination of our stay here was to go to the Outer banks in Hatteras, a long strip of islands.  Hatteras is known for four different lighthouses and beautiful beaches along the Atlantic Ocean.  We wanted to explore the Outer banks in two days and found a hotel in Kill Devil Hills that takes dogs.  Of course,  it WOULD be a town called "Kill Devil Hills"….just hope it's a decent place!  The lighthouses were so different from one another and the houses were all large and up on stilts due to rising waters during a hurricane.  The beaches are beautiful and the hotel (although not my standard) was clean.  The next morning, we came across a Starbucks's and I was a happy camper since I haven't had a Starbuck's since starting this trip!  We drove to the historic town of Corrolla, the furthest point of the Outer banks with its' many large, vacation homes and wild horses on the beach.  Concluding our short trip here, we stopped at the Wright Brothers National Memorial once again on Kill Devil Hills (we seem to not be able to leave this place!) .  We stood on top of the hill that the Wright Brothers actually took their first flight, the first powered airplane in 1903 and only a few miles from Kitty Hawk (also well known for the Wright Brothers flights). 

The Fishing Trip and Lost Keys
Perry was excited to be going out on an all day fishing trip and I was excited to stay back and go for a walk, clean, read and listen to music!  He left early in the morning and I slept in!  It was a beautiful day and the dogs and I went for a two mile walk .  This was a first for me, putting my keys and glasses in a unused "poop" bag and near the end of the walk, I noticed the bag seemed lighter.  Yes……somewhere along the trail with dead leaves, I lost the keys to the fifth wheel and my glasses.  Perry wouldn't be back for several more hours and the fifth-wheel was locked!  I leashed up the dogs to the picnic table and started to retrace my steps.  I walked the beginning of the trail and tried to remember the exact path as Daisy howled in the distance.   The dogs walked back and forth from one trail to another, so all I could do is pray and hope for the best in retracing my steps.   Boy, did I get my exercise walking another two miles and as I headed back into the RV park, I noticed my keys and glasses on the grass.  What a relief!! Hours later, Perry got back with an ice chest of filleted black-tailed tuna.  A happy ending for us both!
The next day we went to the restaurant on the golf course on base. We were the only ones in the restaurant and afterwards walked the inside building admiring the plaques, awards and pictures of the history of the Marine Base.  This included a tribute to decades of men and women who served.  Outside was the most beautiful site only to find out the history behind it.  Called Burnside's Landing, it was a battle in 1862 between the Union and Confederate Army.  Eleven-thousand men fought the battle right on the ground where we stood. 
Another great week....ofF to Piskah National Forest, N.C. and Stoney Fork!

NEXT-"THERE AIN'T NO MOEN HERE", EASTER IN THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS, BIKER FRIENDS, THE BILTMORE AND PISKAH VIEW RANCH!







No comments:

Post a Comment